Wednesday, July 30, 2008

VMware ESX Installation Error: "The Installer is Unable to find any supported network devices"

I was trying to install ESX 3.0 on Dell Optiplex 745 and during the installation following error came:
"The Installer is Unable to find any supported network devices"

This error clearly says that my NIC card is not supported by ESX and after this installation ends up with reboot

VMware ESX Server uses "VMKernel" to directly address and control hardware. Because of this, ESX does not support every type of hardware.
Basically ESX is projected to run on Servers not on Desktop but I was trying to evaluate it before purchasing hardware and software.
Here is the link from where you can verify whether your environment is feasible for ESX or Not.
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_systems_guide.pdf

I tried it on all type of Desktop machines available with me and luckily it worked on Dell Optiplex GX620.

No comments: