Monday, September 13, 2010

Sharing Internet Connection(USB/Dialup) in WiFi network

I was a broadband internet user but recently I switched to BSNL 3G Data card(USB Modem). I wanted to share my internet with all hosts connected in my network.
List of hardware available with me:
1. BSNL 3G USB data card
2. WiFi Router
3. Multiple laptops
4. Smart phones with WiFi



Approach 1# Using Internet connection sharing software (Proxy Servers e.g. CCProxy)
It’s pretty simple approach:
1. Connected all devices to my Local WiFi network
2. Connected Internet on one of my laptops using USB Modem(BSNL 3G)
3. Installed Proxy Server (CCProxy) on same laptop
4. Configured all other devices to use proxy from server installed #3
This approach worked fine for browsing but it was a pain to configure proxy for each application(Gtalk,Yahoo,Skype…) on each device.
And many applications doesn’t work properly with proxy server. e.g. Facebook for android on Samsung galaxy S was not working with this configuration. So I started looking for different approach.

Approach 2# Sharing Internet connection between networks
I liked this approach as all my devices can access internet just by joining my wifi network, no configuration at client end is required.
1. Installed BSNL 3G Model on one of my laptop
2. Went to network connections, and enabled internet sharing from this modem to my “Local Area Network”. It’s automatically set my NIC’s Ip to 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0

3. Connected this network to Internet Port on my Router. Configured static IP on internet port of router 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.1
4. Connected internet using Modem.
5. Now anyone joining my local WiFi nwtwork are able access internet

No comments: